Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\webio.dll

18 Jan

I had this issue on a couple of machines. Opening Outlook, Excel and Word 2016 would all crash immediately after opening. The event log showed:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.7571.2109, time stamp: 0x5864420d
Faulting module name: webio.dll, version: 10.0.14393.206, time stamp: 0x57dad24c
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0002a62a
Faulting process ID: 0x2234
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2717ca948e615
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\webio.dll
Report ID: 518bfa42-f855-4a81-a70f-8078df6a479c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.7571.2109, time stamp: 0x58645ad3
Faulting module name: webio.dll, version: 10.0.14393.206, time stamp: 0x57dad24c
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0002a62a
Faulting process ID: 0x2630
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2717c629e81b2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\webio.dll
Report ID: 66df3848-a518-41f8-acc2-a9620fb0b630
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Reinstalling (and repairing) Office seemed to fix the issue short term, but as soon as the user logged off or the PC restarted, the same error would return.

All PC’s were running Windows 10 14393.rs1_release.161220-1747 ¬†(x64), all with Office 2016 (x32).

I tried the following to no avail:

  • Integrity Scan (sfc /scannow)
  • Ran all Windows and Office updates
  • Installed the 64-bit version of Office
  • Removed all Outlook plugins etc.
  • Removed Dynamics CRM
  • I even ran a malware scan, but that brought up nothing.

Running the applications in safe mode would allow them to run without error, but this wasn’t a long term fix.

I checked the file “C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\webio.dll” but this was the same on both machines and a few that were not experiencing the issue.

In the end, I logged in as the local admin, deleted the user local profiles from system properties that were experiencing the issues and when they logged back in every worked perfectly.

Not the ideal fix but quicker than a full Windows reinstall.